Thursday, April 13, 2006

companion

Every day i get a sacred poem from Poetry Chaikana ( wonderful mr. Ivan Granger).
Today's poem fits so well in my life, so i will "borrow" it.
The writer of this mystic poem is a Jewish (or Christian) sufi saint in India. He lived in an Armenian community in Iran, but he was put to death in India (by the Moghul emperor).
Now this crossover of religions and places makes him very interesting to me. But when you read his poetry, you hear a universal message which does not sound unfamiliar at all to sikhs.



Companion
by SARMAD (?- 1659)
english version by Azarm Ghareman
Along the road, you were my companion
seeking the path, you were my guide
No matter to whom I spoke, it was you who answered
when sun called moon to sky, it was you who shined
In the night of aloneness, you
were my comforter
When i laughed, you were the smile on my lips
when i cried, you were the tears on my face
When i wrote, you were the verse
when i sang, you were the song
Rarely did my heart desire another lover
then when it did, you came to me in the other.


Beautiful, isn't it? Wonder if he had heard about Guru Nanak?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, beautiful poem (except the part where Satguru is my tears, I'd want him to be the cleanex :P). Thanks for sharing!
Wishing you a Super Happy Baisakhi!!!
Chardi Kala!

Friday, April 14, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger samar said...

Sat Sri Akaal!
The poem is incredible.Love speaks across the man-made barriers of religion - and the poem pays tribute to this boundless love.

Naam Chit Aave.

ps//I read somewhere that sarmad was a sufi saint(though his origins were armenian).

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home