Sunday, May 06, 2007

strong women

The other night i went out with my friend M. to have dinner. She survived breastcancer three times. It had her changed of course. It had us, her friends, changed. Of course.
But she is alive and enjoying life, though life does not always brings what she wants. She learned to accept; she is a stong woman.


On Saturday morning i went to the market to buy some fruit, when i met the parents of my friend L.. They are looking great, both in their eighties, but still active and full of life. I name them mummy and daddy, just like my friend L. When we talk, i can see their eyes exploring my face, hanging into my eyes. I can read their minds:"She could have been like this, going to the market with her granddaughter to buy some fruit. She could have been like this."
Because my friend L. lost the battle against cancer, she died 17 years ago. She was such a strong woman.


"I need some strong women" my friend G. said, " strong women to carry me when i am weak and unable to carry this myself!".
"Count on me, i will be there!" i answered.
"It's a very agressive form and the doctors don't know if they can or how they can stop this."
G. is such a strong woman, she lost her husband, her mother, a dear friend and her beloved son in very short time. Still she is a pilar to so many people, she is the one to uplift others.
She is such a strong woman, but this struggle will be a hard one, she is going to need as much support as possible. So she deserves strong friends.


Waheguru, Waheguru, make me strong in difficult moments. For her.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vahiguru, Vahiguru, Vahiguru,

My mother died in 1982. Some years before she had a masectomy and we all thought that she was in the clear. But then the doctors discovered that the disease had entered her lymphatic system and that she was literally being eaten up by the cancer. One by one her vital organs gave up, and when she died, heavily sedated by strong opiates, she was not even a shadow of her own strong self.

She had left the hospital on her request and was nursed by a team made up of two of my aunts and my father and I. It was as if repaying all the love and care that she had bestowed on me.

Weeks before her death the real Annie de Jong had gone.

She has not left me, nor have I left her, and although she did not want to die, it is obvious that she is better off where ever she is.

Vahiguru, Vahiguru, Vahiguru

Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Sat Nam!
Harjinder Ji, dear brother

Your story made me sad at one hand, but at the same time glad because it tells of the beautiful love you felt and feel for your mother. Annie de Jong will never be forgotten, she is alive in her dear son.
And that is what matters unconditioned love given from one generation to another. That is the reason why people feel welcomed at your door, they feel your (and her) unconditioned love.
Thank you for sharing.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home