Thursday, July 26, 2007

reading


One of my favourite passtimes is reading. And i must admit that i am a bit of a sexist and a racist when concerning books. I know it is not fair but i tend to have a soft spot for female writers and if possible from other cultures or writing about other cultures (sorry guys, but now and then i try to make the effort to read your books. honestly).
So this summer in Crete i re-read:"The tiger ladies. A memoir of Kashmir" by Sudha Koul. Oh i enjoyed this book so much! Did any one of you read this book?
To my great surprise (i missed it the first time when i read this book) it is dedicated to Clarissa Pinkola Estes (the writer ads "who does not know me). I will write about her in one of my next posts, she is the author of:"Women who run with the wolves, myths and stories of the wild woman archetype".
I come back to her later...
And did you noticed my didi-towel (haha, you must be almost blind to miss it). Of course it is publicity for this woman-clothes-shop-chain, but for me it has a deeper meaning, being named didi by many refugees. Even some sikhs do, though they prefer benji or bibi.
What's in a name?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!! cool post! I will definately research the books you mention here!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Dear Satvinder Bhenji

Good to hear you. i tried many times (even today commenting your new post) to leave a comment on your blog, but one way or another after i click on "publish" everything disappears! And this happened before too.
Maybe it happened with other visitors of your blog too?
Anyway, what i wanted to say is tahnk you for drawing my attention on A. Shankar. Great music!!!

Sat Nam!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 10:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say Sri Akal bhenji!!!

How've you been?? I know you missed me, for i really missed you too! :) And gosh, that Kashmir memoir sounds way too intriguing...i will definitely look into it :)

And what a warm tribute for all the wonderful work you do. D!D! :) Names often show love and respect and this one does the job well :)

Hope all's well with your hand and health. Stay in chardi kala!!

love,
s.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Sat Nam!

Dear Sikhi Seeker Bhenji

Right you are ,i do miss you!!!!
I hope you are well and i hope that life is gentle with you.
When are you coming to Europe?
Hope you will enjoy one of the books on the plane...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home