Monday, October 23, 2006


I taught myself to live simply and wisely
to look at the sky and pray to God
and to wander long before evening
to tire my useless sadness.

When the burdocks rustle in the ravine
and the yellow-red rowanberry cluster droops
I write down happy verses
about life's decay, decay and beauty.

I come back. The fluffy cat
licks my palm, purrs so sweetly,
and the fire flares bright
on the saw-mill turret by the lake.

Only the cry of a stork landing on the roof
occasionally breaks the silence.
If you knock on my door
I may not even hear.


Anna Achmatova (1889-1966)
translated from Russian by Richard McKane


This poem is dated 1912. But it is still young and fresh and universal. Anna Achmatova is one of my most beloved poets and i have translations in several languages. Wish i could understand Russian...
She is an outstanding poet and an outstanding woman as well.
If you have the chance to read her or about her life, do not hesitate, she is wonderful.

Have a nice Monday!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this bhenji... I feel an urge to get back to my poetry (",)

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

So did i this morning!

Roughly i wrote the skeleton of a poem, but now i have to get some flesh on it...

This urge sometimes has the proportion of a addiction...but a nice one!

Anna Achmatova is so inspiring...

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=)

Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bhenji... I hope you will share your poem.

hugs and smileys to wish you a happy weekend (",)

Saturday, November 04, 2006 2:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please do share the poem you wrote :)

Howz your finger and how are you? Happy Gurupurab :) May God bless you with health and keep you in chardi kala!

You are in my thoughts :):)

Sunday, November 05, 2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

sweet bhenji's

yes i brew something, but it is in Dutch.
I will translate it soon, but sometimes it is not easy to get the right rhythm. English is not my native language, so it is a bit of struggling sometimes.
Did Anna Achmatova inspire you?

And for all of you an happy Gurpurab!!!!

Monday, November 06, 2006 11:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the question is intended for me :P - Yes, she very much does. Somehow this poem makes you wanna open your own heart in your own words :):) It's too bad I choose not to avail this inspiration ;)

Monday, November 06, 2006 3:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home