Tuesday, September 26, 2006

first meeting


As i mentioned some time back (oh dear, some months back!) i am clearing my office. Which is an enormous task, since i keep almost everything. Most of the time rubbish (so it seems now, but at the time it looked important), but now and then i find a jewel.
Like today.

I found the first article i ever read about the sikhs. My first meeting with sikhism dated from february 1982! And i remember very well how it felt to read this: i was shocked and afraid!
The title of the article was:" The Sikhs will rule the world. By all means?" (in Dutch was written: met alle geweld? which means: by all force, by all violence?)
You can imagine the tone of the article, which paid a lot of attention to kirpan and the sikh warrior. And about 3HO and Kundalini yoga.
At that time i have never seen a sikh, never! Can not even remember to have seen one when i was in England.
It was only after Operation Blue Star in 1984 Indian Sikhs came to Germany and from Germany they moved on to Belgium in the late 80s.
Who could have guessed that in the following years the sikhs and sikhism would become so important for me.
Not right away... i took my time and sikhism took its time. But slowly i discovered the path i was looking for.

Everything has his place and has his time...

"The darkness of ignorance is dispelled
and the lotus of the heart blossoms.
In the Guru's Shabad there is great joy and comfort
in His Hands, all boons." (Guru Arjun)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was indeed a jewel. It is the fear of losing something so precious as this, that makes me a keeper of things as well!

But I'm glad that when you took the time and Sikhism too did...you eventually were able to find what your heart truly seeked :)

Had you never mentioned about adopting Sikhism later on in your life, I could never have guessed that your bonding with the Guru wasn't genetic. That sure doesn't mean anything - for Sikhi is a faith of choice and a choice of faith! But I'm sure you get my point :)

Lots of love and hugs :)

How is your wrist and finger doing??

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Dear ss, i am writing how the sikhs came to Belgium.
As a second storyline is my own discovery of sikhism.
And there was a big difference in defending these newcomers in my hometown and province and suddenly realizing that they made me find what i was looking for.
What is holding me back and makes me rewrite it again and again, is that it is personal, very personal.
So i am afraid that this second story line is not of too much interest...
Anyway i am working on it, so it will be one day on my blog...
So a little more patience...

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:26:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Dear sikhi seeker, since i discovered sikhism late in life, i am very much a sikh-sikh!
At the other hand it is really a choice, you know.
I still struggle with a lot of things, that would be blasfemy for many sikhs. Because my mind contest in so many matters, where my heart and soul believe in...It is difficult to explain... But i know (and this i really know) Waheguru will reveal Himself and He doses what He wants me to know.
So i am an eager sikh, because i want to know.
Lots of love for you too!

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Oh and the finger is okay. It stays in a funny angle (and so is my little finger, because they work together one way or another), but i can operate again with no pain...I can fold my hands for praying again.
The wrist recovered too, because of the injections and the rest (not too much blogging).
It will come back, the doctor says, but we will see by then... maybe he is just wrong :-)
Have a nice weekend! What about a nice walk in the woods... And on sunday we have a wellknown (so they say)raga jatha, so i am eager to start the weekend!
Hug, hug

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Dear ss, i am writing how the sikhs came to Belgium.
As a second storyline is my own discovery of sikhism.
And there was a big difference in defending these newcomers in my hometown and province and suddenly realizing that they made me find what i was looking for.
What is holding me back and makes me rewrite it again and again, is that it is personal, very personal.
So i am afraid that this second story line is not of too much interest...
Anyway i am working on it, so it will be one day on my blog...
So a little more patience...

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are writing!!! I'm ecstatic to hear that! And I am just immature for such suggestions, but i beleive that anything that is written with honesty and truth will be heartfelt for all sorts of readers. If you get into the debates of what will be accepted or not by the world, you are compromising honesty. I encourage you to write without bias and don't worry about fixing what might appear unpleasant.

I can't wait to read what you write!!! Sacchi (truly ;))!

Friday, October 06, 2006 5:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home