Monday, September 25, 2006

children's book



The absolute number 1 book of my granddaughter is:"Zonnïge zomer (Sunny summer)"(publisher Lannoo)
Originally in German:"Sommer-Wimmelbuch" written by Rotraut Susanne Berner
(publisher Gerstenberg Verlag).
Well,... written, there are no words in this book, only images. But that stimulates of course the fantasy of the little ones.
I like this book too, because it is the only children's book i know, where a sikh is moving around as a main character. We live in a multi cultural and multi religious world, but this is not very often reflected in the world of children's books. So i am really glad with this book, because it shows how easy it is to be friends with all people, no matter how they look.

My granddaughter knows my friend Amarjeet Singh very well of course and so every time we "read" the book, she shouts his name.
Every page we turn, i have to ask; "...and where is Amarjeet?" And then she "walks" with her little fingers towards him, giving me a big smile that she has found him.
Life can be so simple...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life can be so simple when the world recognizes your existence! I am so very very impressed and glad with this book. I live in Toronto and we don't have a Sikh protagonist or even a Sikh character in our children's book. This is awesome Manpreet ji...where do you think I can get a copy from?

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:25:00 PM  
Blogger manpreet kaur said...

Satnam!
I will be very happy to send a copy of this book. Since there are no words (except for the title) you can use the Flemish edition. It is such a great book! The writer got many well deserved prizes for her work
But i looked at this sikh character and i am suddenly not so sure... he does not have moustaches...
I don't think he is muslim since he is introduced at the backside of the book by the name of Santosh.
Anyhow my granddaughter says he is Amarjeet singh, so he is sikh.:-)
Moustaches or not...

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

manpreet,this book you are mentioning is indeed intriguing.
I have a 4 yr old son. These days I am trying to look for material to indtroduce him to Sikhism as a matter of fact thing.
As far as books for his age is concerned I havent had much luck.
I would be really grateful, if you could send me a copy and let me know the amount too.
My emai is soniadhami@yahoo.co.in.
I live in California.
Thanks

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home