Monday, December 11, 2006

sikh# sick


For 3 days and a night my little princess was sitting on my lap, too sick to speak or play. She only wanted to be in oma's arms. Safe and showered with love.
So there i sat for 3 days in a corner of the sofa with this little kid doozing off now and then, complaining with a weak little voice that it hurts in her little ear. i think fever and pain have a function, so i comforted her as much as possible with my heated magic cherrypit cushion.
Singing Mool Mantra very soft in her tiny ear (very soft because i have very clear instructions of my son not to put any of this religious hocus pocus in his daughter's head...) and praying to God:" Dear Waheguru, i love this child, please don't make her suffer. If there is anyone to suffer, let it be me, over the past years i had very good experience. And see i survived well, so give her suffering to me and make her healthy and strong!"
Now God knows me very well and over the years He trained me very well to be patient. If i asked for something, usually He makes me wait a while, a week, a month, a year.
But this time He was very quick to respond, next day i was sick and little princess walked home to enjoy the weekend with her parents. :-)
I climbed into my bed, fighting fever and coughing. Plenty of time to think if it was not better to keep my mouth shut next time.

It made me think as well of all the mothers and grandmothers in the world with sick children in their arms, in so much worse conditions. War and famine, hurricanes and dryness, not able to help them, to feed or shelter them...It made me very humble and grateful...

What kept me going, though i was not feeling well myself, was this little cherished moment. After a long day and half of the night, we finally made it to our bed. She was still very feverish and looked with half closed, heavy eyes at me and said:
"Oma, sweet oma"
and with her little hand she touched my cheek. It was such an intense moment.
The perfect dramatic final scene for any tearjerker movie. So several times i went close to her mouth to be sure she was still breathing...Thank God she was!

And next day when she woke up, she was sitting on my arm, while i opened the curtains and princess said:" Look, oma there is opi, with his funny hat on!" (opi, is the name she gave to my beloved father who passed away last year)
She pointed through the window, of course i couldn't see anything, but anyhow i knew.
After her afternoon nap she said the same, pointing to the same place.

It made my heart light! She did not forget about him and ... yes, he did not forget about her...

And while i was having fever myself, i felt a very big "closeness" (is this english)...
like i was sitting on someone's lap for 3 days...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a heart warming post bhenji. Thank you for sharing these precious moments.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 4:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely story. Thank you.

Friday, December 15, 2006 8:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home